:)

We've been in France for a little over two weeks now. Since the 11th we've been in Vezenobres (a tiny medieval village about 30 minutes away from Nimes). This past week we've been guest teachers in the local middle/high school. We played some word games and broke off into discussion groups so the students could practice their english. It's been really interesting speaking with the students about their likes/dislikes, and their dreams for the future. They all seem very interested in the US and what it is like to live there, so it's also been really fun to talk about where I'm from :) For me, the highlight of our time here so far has been working at the Salvation Army. It is a small place in town that is used as a hang out place during the students' lunch hour. The youth we have met there are part of another school who's focus is on automotive mechanics. There are about 20 boys that come every day. Only a few of them know English well enough to carry on a conversation, and I'm the only one who has had any experience speaking French (which is not saying much, although it's coming back to me here and there), so its been interesting to figure out ways to talk to each other :) Despite the language barrier, we've already begun building relationships with the guys, they are all very nice and welcoming to us, and each other. We made some cakes for two guys that had birthdays, and we are going to have them over for a barbeque some time before we leave. 

As far as liking France goes...it's incredible! We are blessed with a beautiful house to stay in while we are here (complete with a view of the medieval village from our balcony), and I've enjoyed not having to cover myself with at least four layers of clothing every time I go outside; the sun has graced us with its presence every day since we've been here. Last Sunday we went to a Huguenot museum and a cave where the Huguenots used to have secret worship during the Reformation (after the middle ages). 

This past weekend we spent Saturday at huge market! I bought dried fruit, fresh pickled garlic, a pair of gladiator sandals (yet another pair of shoes I'll have to lug home), and homemade honey- to send home to my family :)
We also went to see an aqueduct (built in the time of the roman empire) which was also very cool. On Sunday our host, Henning, came over to share with us some of the words and pictures he got while he was praying for us previous to when we arrived. It was so encouraging! I couldn't help but cry when I heard him speak pure truth regarding what I have experienced this year in my DTS, and it will be interesting to see what comes of the prophesy regarding my future. It's so nice when God speaks- and so cool when he speaks through other people!

For those of you that made it through this whole blog, congrats...it was a long one. We have limited time on the internet so I have to squish a lot of events into one post, so thanks for reading! 

Bonne journée (have a good day)! :)

2 comments:

Lachlan said...

Great post- so enjoyed reading it :)

Best, Lachlan

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.